FLORIDA HOMESTEAD EXEMPTION
- Credit Up to $50,000 of Property's Assessed Value
- All applicants must file an application in-office for homestead exemption.
- A person who, on January 1, has legal title or beneficial title in equity to real property in the State of Florida and who in good faith makes the property his or her permanent residence is eligible. The deed or instrument granting ownership to the property must be recorded in the official records of Okaloosa County. Property owners must apply for the Homestead and other selected tax exemptions in person.
The following documentation is required, along with the in-office Homestead application:
- Recorded with the Clerk of Circuit Court evidence of ownership i.e., deed, contract, etc…
- Proof of social security numbers for all owners, e.g. social security card, W-2, tax return
- Valid Florida Driver’s License or Florida Identification Card with updated address
- All current State of Florida Vehicle Registrations with updated address
Additional proof of residency can be:
- Voter Registration Card or Declaration of Domicile
In addition to the information above, be prepared to answer and provide proof for the following:
- What is the physical address of the property?
- Did you have legal or beneficial title to the property on January 1?
- What date did you begin to claim the property as your primary residence?
- Do you have a valid Florida Driver’s License or Florida Identification Card and an additional proof of residency with the property address?
- What is your Citizenship status? Are you a US Citizen? If you are not a US Citizen, please provide a copy of your unexpired Permanent Resident Card.
- What is your social security number? What is your spouse’s social security number?
- Did you have a homestead exemption, in the State of Florida, anytime during the 2 previous tax years?
All Information is straight off the Property Appraiser's site- for more info, please visit:
Okaloosa County https://okaloosapa.com/real-property/#Homestead
Walton County https://waltonpa.com/exemptions/real-property
Santa Rosa County https://srctc.com/real-estate/homestead-exemption-information/